This weekend I am going out of town with my husband to celebrate our 15th anniversary, but I wanted to write a short post first just to let you all know how I’m doing. Fortunately, my depression has let up a little bit, and I think having this weekend to look forward to has helped. Everyone just needs to get away now and then and do something different.
I have been highly into toy collecting and comic books again lately, which I’m sure you have noticed if you follow my Instagram or watch my nerdy YouTube channel. Whenever I am able to lose myself in special interests like these, it also greatly helps my depression and anxiety. I suppose that is the Aspie side of me kicking in. I can always tell when my depression is hitting its worst because one of the first things that happens is that I lose all interest in the things I normally love…which is especially hard to deal with when you have Asperger’s and your obsessive interests are so much a part of your life and coping skills.
As far as art goes, I’ve still been into doing mostly sticker collages (like the one pictured above) and other kid-inspired art. I know many people think art is “bad” if it looks “childish”, but I have always aspired to be as creative as children naturally are. Saying that my art looks like something a child did is actually a roundabout compliment to me lol. If interested, you can see my recent art on my above mentioned Instagram account.
Tonight I am hopefully going to visit the comic book store and then play some trivia at a local Italian restaurant with some other nerdy types from a local meetup group. Then it is off on our trip!
Here are a few new ACEO sticker collage art trading cards I have made! I have been very surprised at how quickly the Lisa Frank ones sell on my Ebay store! I guess Lisa Frank is still very popular!
These collages are certainly easy to make, but it is a fun way to combine my love for all things cute and toy-related with my love of creating art.
(The Pixabay image above doesn’t have anything to do with the subject of the blog post, but I thought it was cool-looking!)
Things have been busy lately. A few good things have happened and a few not-so-good things have happened. Here is a short summary:
- My husband was sick over the weekend with a fever, chills, and body aches and yesterday I started running a fever. Still not feeling well today, but I have a doctor’s visit already scheduled for this evening, so I guess that is good timing.
- I finally heard from my mom the other day after a month of hearing nothing. I guess she wasn’t upset or mad or anything after all, she just had neglected to call me back like she had said she would. At least she did apologize. I think she genuinely meant it too.
- I have become kind of obsessed with reborn dolls! I ordered my third doll from Paradise Galleries the other day and am excited to receive her! I’m not sure if this is just my latent maternal instincts coming out to play since I never had a child of my own or what, but it is a comforting and fun hobby. Having an excuse to shop for adorable baby stuff is awesome lol.
- The weather is finally stabilizing somewhat and becoming nice most days! So happy about that! I don’t like the cold!
- After a few weeks of being uninspired entirely with my art, I have gotten a bit of interest back in it lately and am enjoying making fun little collages.
- Even though my last therapy session made me feel pretty crappy the day I had it, a couple things the therapist said have stuck with me and might help in the long run. One thing I keep thinking about is how the therapist said it was “interesting and not weird” how I have such an interest in toys and other “child-like” things. I have always felt kind of ashamed for liking “kids stuff” as an adult, whether it be toys, books, movies, or whatnot, but maybe I have been judging myself too harshly for just having unusual interests. I can be extremely obsessive about those interests, but when you have Asperger’s, that kind of comes with the territory.
- Anxiety and depression have been high (as always) but I’m still here! I’m still fighting for the kind of life I want, even if I do make missteps here and there.
I’m still on a bit of a sticker collage kick as far as art goes, so I made a few more ACEO size ones to sell on my ebay store. I have another Lisa Frank themed one, a My Little Pony one, a Peter Pan one, and one made from just patterns and textured stickers. Let me know what you think!
First off, I want to let everyone know this will actually be the last ArtSnacks subscription box I will review. Honestly, I just didn’t feel like I was getting enough use out of it for the cost. I feel like I’m better off just shopping the discount art supplies at local shops. I did subscribe to a different fun subscription box that I will be reviewing from now on, but it isn’t an artist one (you’ll have to stay tuned to see what it is)!
Anyhow, here is what I got in this month’s ArtSnacks box:
- A custom ArtSnacks Pencil Case
- ArtSnacks Sticker Sheet
- Orange Copic Ciao Double Ended Marker
- Copic Multiliner
- 2 Lyra Color Giants Color Pencils (red and purple)
- Warheads Candy
Even though I stopped subscribing to this box, this still might be my favorite box so far. I do really like the custom ArtSnacks pencil case and am sure I’ll get some use from that. The pencil case seems to be made of good quality materials and is double-zippered with two separate compartments. It isn’t big enough to hold a lot at a time, but it is still handy.
I was also thrilled to get a couple Copic products. I’ve always wanted to have the money to invest in some Copic markers, but haven’t done so yet because they are so pricey. Of course, I’m not sure how much I’ll get done with just one orange marker lol.
The Lyra Color Giants color pencils are really cool as well. They are from Germany and seem to be well made. Their huge size kind of reminds me of the big, thick colored pencils that are sometimes made for really little kids. I’m not sure how much I’ll actually use them, but they are pretty neat.
Overall, this was a cool box, but not enough to make me sorry I unsubscribed.
Here are a couple of my newest ACEO alcohol marker drawings/paintings. Since someone said that one of my last artworks reminded them of a map, I decided to specifically make a couple that were “map-like” to my mind. I like the way they turned out:
As always, you can find my current art for sale on my Ebay store!
It has been a few days since I shared some art. Honestly, the past week I have kind of taken a break and haven’t created much. I tend to go in spurts and phases. Here are a couple new ACEO alcohol marker drawings/paintings though. I really like the way both turned out. For the first one, someone told me it looked like a map to them. To me, it looks more like a cut paper collage, even though it was actually done with markers:
For this second artwork, at first it didn’t have the white embellishments on it and I felt like it was rather plain. I am so glad I had the inspiration to add the white lines using a white gel pen. I think it really made the picture have character and more visual interest:
As always, you can find my art for sale on my Ebay store!